Though the weather may not reflect it, the calendar is saying that spring has sprung! Earlier this month, we took an entire day to get all of our employees in the same room at the same time. (With 100+ of us, this can feel like quite a feat!) “Aha moments” are always abundant when we get everyone in the same room (though a JibJab video and caffeine can be of great assistance in the morning!)
One of our installers brought up the fact that there are several ways a homeowner benefits from replacing their windows and siding at the same time. While this concept makes perfect sense in our industry, it’s not something a homeowner may even be aware of as they plan home improvement projects.
Why it’s a Good Idea
Replacing your siding and windows in tandem allows you to achieve the best possible scenario. It oftentimes saves you money because caulking and sealing window openings & trim and siding joints will only need to happen once. This saves you in labor costs by not having this work performed twice. Because these two projects are so often done concurrently, it’s fairly easy to find a contractor that can perform both tasks which also saves you by not having to hire two separate companies. Another way you save by replacing siding and windows synchronically is in energy costs.
Protecting Your Home if the Work Must Be Performed Separately
If you’ve already had the siding replaced and are now noticing that your windows aren’t as energy efficient as they once were, there are still ways to protect your siding during the removal of the old windows. One method is to install window trim around current windows when the new siding is installed. This prevents the new siding from protruding the nailing fins. This means that when the old windows are removed only the window trims will need to be removed, leaving the siding undisturbed. Installing window trims with screws, rather than nails, can also minimize damage during the window removal process.
Tell-tale signs it’s time to replace your windows:
- You hear your windows rattling when it is windy outside
- You notice your windows develop an icy or frosty glaze inside the window pane
- You feel your home becomes drafty with cold air in the winter months and warm air in the summer months
- You see excessive condensation on your windows or they become fogged
- You have to prop your windows open because they will not stay open on their own
Tell-tale signs it’s time to replace your siding:
- You are adding on to your home
- Your current siding looks weathered, is cracking, or constantly needs new paint
- Existing siding has extensive insect damage or dry rot
- Current siding has stains or has weathered unevenly
- Existing siding shows signs of buckling or decay.
Looking for a professional to assist you with new windows & siding? Let the professionals at Lindus Construction help you. Call us now at 1-800-873-1451 or check us out on the web at www.lindusconstruction.com to schedule a free in-home estimate today. Tune into AM 830 WCCO on Saturdays from 9:00-10:00am hosted by Denny Long and Andy Lindus to ask questions regarding your home improvement projects.