Free Estimate

Keeping Your Family Safe from Lead Hazards at Home

25 May 2012

Do you have a home built before 1978 that still has the original windows?  If you answered yes to this question, it’s important to strongly consider replacing your windows ASAP.  Why?  The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that the practice of opening & closing windows can agitate the lead based paint surrounding the windows which can cause lead paint particles to be released into the air.


Lead can have serious consequences for children and pregnant women.  Children can crawl on the floor where the paint particles have settled.  If a child were to touch the area of the floor where the particles settled and then put their hands in their mouth, they could ingest the lead based paint dust.  If this happens, a child can risk memory issues, hearing problems & hyperactivity, among other problems.  If a pregnant woman inhales lead paint particles when a window opens, her baby can have a low birth weight, deliver early or be miscarried.  While children and pregnant women are the most vulnerable groups, the hazards or lead paint can affect the entire population.  Anyone who is exposed to lead paint particles can experience brain & kidney damage, hearing and vision impairment, nerve problems, reproductive issues, etc.  A vital fact is that lead paint particles may not be visible to the naked eye.


-Paint Inspection: Tells you if your home has lead based paint & where it is located.

-Risk Assessment: Lets you know if your home has any lead hazards in the soil, paint or dust.  It also suggests the most effective ways to address any found hazards.

There are state and federal programs in place to ensure that testing is done effectively & correctly.  Call 800-424-LEAD (the National Lead Information Center) to see who the service provider in your area is.  Please know that home kits are not the most effective way to determine if your home has lead hazards.


Lead paint is serious and it’s important for home owners to understand that there is no safe method for do-it-yourself removal.  Traditional methods such as sandpaper, scrapers, heat guns, etc. do notwork because they cause dust.  Lead paint dust can circulate through your home’s vents and can eventually be inhaled.  Utilizing the services of a professional will allow your family to be safe and will ensure that the lead is eradicated from your home.

The EPA requires contractors to be certified before they can perform a remodel, repair or any project that has anything to do with previously applied lead paint.


Lindus Construction uses an x-ray device to scan for lead in all homes they are performing work on that were built 1978.  This technique is cleaner, quicker and more accurate than some of the scraping methods that can damage your home.  They are proud to have more employees than any other construction company in the state of WI that are RRP (Renovation, Repair & Painting) certified.